Monday 26 November 2007

Chicks and Money

Just over a week ago, exactly 2 months after arriving in Ghana, I finally gained access to my Ghanaian bank account. This was a lengthy process, not helped by the three weeks my application spent in a desk draw. It does mean that I now have access to the allowance that VSO pay me quarterly (in advance). The actual application meant spending a number of hours in the Koforidua branch of one of Britain's best known banks, shuffling from one seat to another as I got nearer to the desk officer. I now have a cash card with a pin number, both of which were created on the spot in the branch. We are advised to withdraw over the counter though, as this is safer than using the cash machines. Money generally has been slightly more confusing than the usual problems you have on holiday. In July the Ghana Cedi lost four zeros and colourful new notes were issued. The old ones though remain in circulation and will do until at least the end of the year. When shopping, prices are still given in the old denominations so 5,000 cedis has now become half a Ghana cedi and combinations of both notes and coins can be used. A new Ghana cedi is worth about the same as a US dollar and there are two to the pound. One big advantage is that the new notes go to a much higher value. The previous highest value was 20,000 cedis or one pound! It is now 50 Ghana cedis or 25 pounds but try getting change from one of them!

Virgil, one of the Filipino volunteers spent the weekend with Krishma and me. In his honour Krishma made chicken curry for us and the other Koforidua volunteers. As everybody locally will tell you, the best chickens are bought live from the market. We collected one on Saturday morning. Adjua, our landlord's niece had agreed to kill and pluck it but when it cam to it, Virgil did the deed. Without giving details, it was a fairly straightforward process and the results were done justice in the cooking and the eating.

One final thing. When I introduce myself to Ghanaians, I usually have to say my name is ree-CHARD. Richard is a common name in Ghana but if I pronounce it Rich-ud, I usually get blank looks and the request to repeat it.

No comments: